Ads 468x60px

Utah Vacation: Temple Square & Cafe Rio

Today is our 14th Wedding Anniversary! Can you believe that? Holy Cow! I guess time flies when you're having fun! ;) We drove down from Layton to SLC to start out our morning with a session at the Salt Lake Temple. I LOVE this Temple! It's gorgeous and has an amazing history. We got to sit together in the Celestial room for a while after the session. It is so beautiful & peaceful! It's hard to believe we sat in that exact place 14 years ago with no idea what future was ahead of us. What a future it has been! ;) Many there be many more to experience. I love you so much, Honey!
Here's an article with pictures of some of the rooms inside: http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=4d3530b157edb010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1 (It's called In His Holy House in the 1993 Nov issue of the Liahona found on lds.org)
We finally decided to NOT stay in a Hotel for the next two nights but to just stay up at the Davis'. (After 14 years, you'd think we would have the communication thing down, right? or NOT! Oops! Sorry, love! You are so patient with me!;) It eventually worked out great though because like I mentioned- we LOVE staying at the Davis' house! Well, after a fun Anniversary lunch in the Temple cafeteria (Pretty good food I would say), we headed back up to Cheri's to get the kids. [Thanks lady for watching them for us- we really appreciate it!] After naptime, we headed back down to Salt Lake to take the kids around Temple Square. There is SO much to see and we had very limited time so we took them to the big stuff. At Temple Square, the Christus statue is a MUST! It's gorgeous! We also went ot the North Visitor's Center and went inside the Tabernacle. One of the Sister Missionaries did a sound demonstration without a microphone. Pretty amazing!
Next, we did a shortened tour of the Conference Center. We LOVE the rooftop! We did the tour with a couple from Ohio. We made sure they saw the really important parts. ;) It was fun to be able to do a bit of missionary work while we were there. Glory ended up pretending to be a puppy the whole time and ruined the toes of her shoes on the granite floor. Silly girl! We even got to see a double rainbow while we were on the roof. Magnificent! We are so lucky! The pictures don't give them justice. After the roof, we got to go inside the auditorium. That place is humungous and beautiful!
We had planned to meet several of Brett's fam for dinner so we headed over to one of our favorite places- Cafe Rio! YUMMMMMMY! Love that place! Brett's mom-Lana, Shauna, Charlene, Jayden, Jordan, Miley, Janet, Skyler, Ky, Brett, Liberty, Justice, Victoria, Glory and me all were there! Let me tell you--It's always fun keeping kids together and quiet in a restaurant. Gotta love 'em!!! LOL!
After dinner, we headed back over to Temple Square where we met up with Shauna. We made a stop at the South Visitor's center. They have a miniaturized replica of the Temple and it's insides. HOLY AMAZING! That is a doll house my girls would love, love! We made a stop by the fountain where Brett proposed to me. AHHH- too sweet! (Tilt your head to the side- it sounds cuter;) And of course, we had to touch the Temple. A family tradition! I even took Liberty to the back door so I could show her my doorknob.
[STORY behind the knob: When we got married, it's tradition to take pictures on the steps by the doors. Well, people were teasing me about trying to break in. (These big doors are locked for obvious reasons) I played along and tugged hard on the door. Well, I guess I'm Superwoman or something because the doorknob popped off and rolled down the stairs. Oops! We all about peeped our pants (or dresses) laughing! I, of course, put it back on the best I could and we told the Temple workers about it but now whenever we see the doorknob- we laugh! AND then even better -a couple years later, my Uncle Bud found a belt buckle made from a mold of the front of the knob. He ended up giving us one so I actually have my own SLTemple doorknob at home! Too funny!]
Shauna got to explain some of the symbols on the outside of the Temple to the kids, we threw coins in the fountains, did a mooshy Anniversary photo shoot in front of the Temple before it got too dark and checked out the looking-glass lake. The Church turns everything it touches into something beautiful! It's truly amazing! I'm so glad we got the kids there!
Here's a picture of the inside of the replica. It's absolutely perfect!:
Even despite our little communication gliche, our Anniversary was pretty great! Thanks love for being such an amazing hubby! I love you so much! XOXO!
Happy Anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment