Ads 468x60px

RS Broadcast

Tonight, I attended the General Relief Society Broadcast of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I love my time to hear what the Lord has to say to just the women of the Church. Like usual, we had a potluck dinner beforehand. Let me tell you...You never go away hungry when these women bring food. It was so delicious! My favorite was the squash AND the fresh corn! Those are so much of the Fall season to me! YUMMY! I think I ate like 4 plates of food. I know, I know- PIG! But--- it was soooooooo good! ;)
The Broadcast was awesome as usual. Always uplifting and humbling all at the same time. Here's some of the things I learned:
From Sister Julie Beck, RS President:
She talked about how our history teaches us about who we are and what we are to do. She announced that the Church is coming out next year with a RS History publication. It should be pretty neat!
"The history of Relief Society teaches us that our Heavenly Father knows His daughters. He loves them, He has given them specific responsibilities, and He has spoken to and guided them during their mortal missions."
From Sister Silvia Allred:
She asked us to think about what helps sustain us in following the Savior. She suggested four simple things that we can do to continue to follow Him. 1- Daily Prayer 2- Daily Scripture Study (Both of which will allow the influence of the Holy Ghost to flood our lifes) 3- Obedience in keeping His commandments 4- Service
"I know that each of us has a vital and essential role as a daughter of God. He has bestowed upon His daughters divine attributes for the purpose of forwarding His work."
From Sister Barbara Thompson:
She talked about Compassion and Visiting Teaching. Of course, someone always does. Obviously, it's something that us women NEED to hear repeatedly! I really need to step up in this area. Don't get me wrong- I do visit and teach sisters in my ward all the time but I have a ways to go on focusing my efforts to those ladies that have been especially assigned to me in a VT capacity.
"The Savior has asked us to do the things which He has done, to bear one another’s burdens, to comfort those who need comfort, to mourn with those who mourn, to feed the hungry, visit the sick, to succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and to “teach one another the doctrine of the kingdom.” To me these words and actions describe visiting teachers—those who minister to others. Visiting teaching gives women the opportunity to watch over, strengthen, and teach one another."
From the Prophet, President Thomas S. Monson:
It was really neat that the Prophet spoke. I think that it's always been one of his counselors that has spoken in the RS Meeting for as long as I can remember. He is such a sweet and amazing man! His sense of humor and memory are extraordinary. I just love him!
He spoke about Judging Others.
"Mother Teresa, a Catholic nun who worked among the poor in India most of her life, spoke this profound truth: “If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” The Savior has admonished, “This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.” I ask: Can we love one another, as the Savior has commanded, if we judge each other? And I answer—with Mother Teresa—“No; we cannot.”"
And He spoke about Charity
"There is a serious need for the charity that gives attention to those who are unnoticed, hope to those who are discouraged, aid to those who are afflicted. True charity is love in action."
Last but not least- I learned (and continue to each time I do anything with them) that one of my favorite parts of the RS Broadcast is the women I am able to be with. I am so grateful for their different gifts and personalities. I am so lucky to be a part of them! Luv ya! (Thanks to Barb Taylor for taking the picture!)
 
You can view highlights
 or watch the entire meeting here:
(President Monson's talk begins at minute 58- it's worth watching ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment